Sunday, December 29, 2013

Merry Christmas Mugs!

   Every Christmas for many years my family has eaten breakfast at midnight on Christmas eve. This year, because we had so many children, we ate around 9 instead so everyone could be in bed in time for Santa! My husband and I headed the grill with sausage, eggs, and pancakes!
   After we ate, we decided to try something new this year and design some mugs to drink coffee in (or in our case maybe soup since they were so big!). My cousin and I looked up a lot of different ways to use sharpies on porcelain, but we went with wiping the entire mug down with vinegar first, letting it dry, then using black and some other color permanent markers on the mugs. Be aware that the colors don't always stay true after being cooked, some of them fade a little or, for instance, turn from green to blue.
   After they were all carefully drawn on, all of the mugs went into a NON-preheated oven on 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then left in the oven to cool until they could be handled with bare hands.
   Mine have already been hand washed and seem to be holding their color well. :)


The one I made for myself is entirely devoted to Harry Potter! It seems to be the theme for all my gifts this year lol. The writing around the outside says, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and "Always." The inside of the mug is replicating the tea leaves they read their futures with and Harry sees "the grim."


The one I made for my husband has "Nevermore" and the Raven from Edgar Allen Poe (One of his favorites), and the other side has the chorus from our wedding song on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]