Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bathroom Mat Cover

   First off, Happy Saint Patrick's Day! This post just happens to use GREEN things, so it fits well!
Last year, I came across a good deal on a memory foam bath mat and I love it, but I have one tiny problem with it... Every time one of us steps out of the shower onto it with wet feet, I have to some in 10 minutes later to stand on a soggy mat to do my hair.

   I was covering it with a towel when I got out, but I was wasting clean towels and it looked pretty tacky to have them laying all over the bathroom floor.
I decided to try and make a cover for the mat with a thin towel so it would serve it's purpose for the water but still have the memory foam-feel.

I snagged a good-feeling towel at target on sale and it still matched the bathroom!

I laid the towel flat and the mat on top of it face down to mark where it would need to be folded and sewed.

And did the same for the other sides and started sewing right on the edges to leave a slit in the middle for the mat to slip in and out.
*NOTE* I tried using the No-Sew trick with the binding tape and an iron, but the tape could never get hot enough through the towel to bind; And you can use a sewing machine, but mine wasn't heavy duty enough to go through the towel either, so I had to patiently hand sew this.*

 Now that both of the edges are sewn, the mat can just slip inside of the towel cover!

The cover can be taken off and washed whenever it gets a little dirty and the bath mat won't stay gross when it gets wet!

It actually feels a little cushier with the towel cover! :)

7 comments:

  1. Jess! So glad to see a friend is a fellow crafter. I adore your cover here; I think you may see this on my blog tomorrow :) all credit to you, of course. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess! So glad to see a friend is a fellow crafter. I adore your cover here; I think you may see this on my blog tomorrow :) all credit to you, of course. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea!
    Visiting from Craft-O-Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! Bath mats get so gross, and they can be a pain to wash. This solves all of those problems! It's like a duvet cover for your bath mat. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's an awesome way to describe it!! A duvet mat! lol Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Cushier yes but definitely cuter too! And now so easy to wash up and it ties in perfectly with your decor. I'm inspired! Great problem solving skills girl. :D
    Thanks for sharing.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Bath mats do always get yucky don't they?

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive. We're focused on bathroom makeovers, organisation and cleaning this week but you can also link up your fab old posts on all sorts of other topics from spring cleaning and green cleaning to housework routines and laundry, Alice@ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]