Thursday, January 31, 2013

Creamed Cauliflower

  So, recently I've talked about how my husband and I have been getting a little healthier this year. Anyone that knows me knows that I have an OVERWHELMING love of potatoes. Mashed, creamed, fried, french fried (My FAV!), scalloped, you name it! Potatoes are my favorite food, but their starchiness does not always go along with healthy meals. I've been reading about a lot of people substituting cauliflower for potatoes. I was a little skeptical because I'm not the biggest cauliflower/broccoli fan, but we gave it shot!
  Turns out... It was really hard to tell the difference! The biggest thing, besides it of course not tasting EXACTLY like potato, was just the texture being a little more grainy than mashed potatoes. Here's how I made mine!

Ingredients:
Cauliflower florets (I used about 2 cups when cutting a head)
2 Tbsp Butter
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Salt
1/4 C. Ranch or Greek Yogurt (whichever you prefer)
1/4 C. Milk

What I Did:

Boil your Cauliflower, 1 Tbsp butter, and salt for about 10-15 minutes or until VERY tender.

Drain the cauliflower and and place in a mixing bowl with another Tbsp of butter, seasonings, milk, and ranch (or greek yogurt). Beat with a mixer until you reach the desired creamy consistency (add more ranch or yogurt if needed!)

I was very pleased with the kind of healthier substitute! I encourage anyone to try it!

3 comments:

  1. This is on my to do list and just added to my grocery list. Thanks for sharing this great way to get in the veggies. (found you through the Crafty Blog link party). Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cauliflower and no one in my family will eat it. So I'm going to try this recipe! I'm a new follower ;)
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]