Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rainy Day Tie Dye T-shirt

   My hubby had a pack of white t-shirts he did not want to wear because he didn't know they were v-neck, so I decided I wanted to tie dye them! I saw a girl wearing a really cute bright pink and yellow shirt and thought it would be easy to do, but the one I took pictures for is my practice shirt, which is purple.

I pinched the very middle of the shirt and spun it around until it became this small, wheel-like circle. I used 5 rubber bands, you can use as many as you want depending on the colors you use

 Put one rubber band around the outside of the t-shirt, then use the other rubber bands across the top to create your triangles for the color sections.

You'll want to use gloves because the dye is hard to get off skin (and wear "painting" clothes). Two plastic bottles came with the dye, you could probably use any kind of empty plastic bottle. 

Fill in the triangles with your colors, use more than you think is enough dye because you want it to saturate the inside of the shirt as much as possible (I could have used more). When you're done, place the t-shirt in a plastic bag and let sit for around 8 hours. The longer it sits, the brighter the color will be.

After it sits, Run warm water over all the shirt until the water runs clear, then wash it ALONE in the washing machine. I'll update later with a picture of the non-practice shirt lol.

1 comment:

  1. I just love to tie die! We did with my daughter's friends last spring on the last day of school! What a fun project!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]