Monday, July 2, 2012

Old Window Upcycle

   I am SO excited about showing this project off!! I love this piece so much now that I'm having a hard time deciding where to hang it! My grandfather had these old windows on his front porch for a while (no one uses the front door lol). I asked him one day what they planned on doing with them and he said they were the windows originally on the house when they first bought it 20 years ago and they needed to be thrown away, so naturally I swooped in and took them home!
   I immediately knew what I wanted to do with them and that was Put giant pictures in them! They had this awesome crackle on one side of them from being so weathered, but it was falling off left and right and starting to look bad, so MY hubby finished taking it off for me.

This is what the window looked like before. I did love the rustic look, but just not enough to leave it that way.

I bought some poster board at a hobby store to adhere the picture to. (I found it by the poster boards)

I had some little samples made at Home Depot of the color Off White by Behr. I covered the glass with painter's tape and painted the window.

 The picture I had printed at Office Depot as their Engineer Print! It was 24x30, black and white, and only cost me a little over $2.00!!! I will be going there more often!
Because the little wood pieces in the middle weren't just added to the glass but actually separated the three pieces of glass, I had to cut my foam board to the dimensions of the glass. Then, I laid the foam piece over the picture and traced where I wanted it to be cut.

I adhered the pictures to my foam board using mod podge on the corners and edges, that way it would stick well but It would bubble up.

Now my picture pieces were ready I just had to figure out how to make them stay in the window.

I ended up using a Styrofoam glue because I knew it would attach the the foam board well. 

I laid my pieces in and put my dabs of glue on the corners to hold them in place and let it dry over night.

And now I have this large, beautiful piece to hang in my house of my grandfather and I from my wedding! He loves it!

This is one I made for my sister-in-law for there new home!

 A little of the detail on the frame.
 

See where I'm linking up HERE!

13 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    What a sweet and memorable project! My pop pop actually married my hubby and me, he has since passed away, but I will always treasure this special memory!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! I love this. You and your daddy are so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so absolutely beautiful and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sentimental and sweet. I love a meaningful project. This one ranks right up there, especially since it's on a window from his house. Perfect!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea and I have an old window I can use for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project. And this turned out lovely. Thanks for sharing on the Creative Corner Hop.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. A genius idea and an heirloom gift. I can see why they both would love this. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring project on beColorful this week.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, decided this was a post that needed to be featured this week on Becolorful. Thanks for sharing it so I can pass it along.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! I looove this idea! Gorgeous! Such a sweet photo of you and your grandfather too! I'm thrilled that you shared at Shine on Fridays and will be featuring this on One Artsy Mama's Top 10 Thursday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I love how this project turned out. Very creative...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet! Who wouldn't love it? Turning the old window frame into a picture frame is absolutely a brilliant idea, Jessica. If I were your Grandpa, I'd be so proud of you too! I suggest you hang it on one of the walls in the living room.

    Willene Fagen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Recycling never fails to make me happy! I’ve recycled a lot of windows and I’m proud to say that everyone has appreciated all my work. I will try your window frame for my next project. Thanks for the idea!

    -Isaac Andre

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]