Wednesday, July 25, 2012

DIY Dreamcatcher

   I havn't blogged in a while, it's been a busy life! July 17 was my two year anniversary and my husband and I went to Gatlinburg, TN for a couple of days for a getaway! It was beautiful and the perfect place to be together and take our minds off everything! Meanwhile, I've been thinking of a lot of new ideas to work on so be anticipating some good stuff!!
Us at the aquarium, see the shark in the background!? 

I just LOVE Jellyfish! These were huge and beautiful! 

In the mountains! It was a great trip and the happiest 2 year anniversary!

So anyways, here is the latest thing I've been working on. I had a doily my great grandmother made that I was given with her crochet things and I loved it but wasn't sure what to do with it. I saw a picture of a dreamcatcher someone made with crochet pieces and I LOVED it!! I knew I wanted it to be mostly white because that's what the doily was and I just love white dreamcatchers.
My mom (who is 1/4 Cherokee Indian) soon informed me that what I was making was really more of a Mandela, which is similar to a dreamcatcher, but instead of "catching bad dreams" it is meant to represent and promote wealth, health, and wisdom. Either way, I love the way it came out and it's hanging in my bedroom doing whatever it does lol.

Here is the finished product. I used a metal hoop, white yarn, twine, ribbon, beads, and feathers.




See where I'm linking up HERE!


5 comments:

  1. So pretty and wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Beyond the Picket Fence. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a lovely one! lots of details. Its rewarding to make then for oneself. I made several myself and posted about them too. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty - and what a nice idea! Happy anniversary, BTW :) Stopping over from It's a Hodgepodge Friday. Come visit me at jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great project. I love tribal things gone pretty! I'm a teeny tiny little bit of Cherokee as well! I just made a little dream catcher necklace a couple of weeks ago.
    http://www.spoolandspoonblog.com/2012/07/dream-catcher-necklace.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]