Monday, July 30, 2012

A DIY Tank Top

   Let me give a little credit here first by saying I did not come up with this idea, I found it on pinterest done by an awesome blogger Crafterhours. I gave it a few of my own touches, but this was all thought up after seeing their blog!

 

   I'm pretty sure every girl at some point has purchased a t-shirt or regular top thinking it looked great, then when you got home it was too big in some areas or too small in others! That's exactly what I did... Granted this is a unisex shirt so it's meant to fit men too (i'd buy anything that said Foo Fighters on it lol), It made me look kind of WIDE.
   I've been thinking about making it into a tank top, I just don't really like the "workout tank" that's trending... plus I don't frequent a gym lol. So when I saw this pin, I wanted to give it a shot!

(This method can also be used to make little girl's dresses out of old t-shirts for all you mothers out there!!)

Lay the t-shirt out flat. Cut right on the inside of the seams of the arms and cut a straight line across right underneath the neckline. 

From the top, where you cut the straight line, fold the front and back sides of the shirt into the inside of the shirt and pin about an inch wide to sew.  This is making the loop for your drawstring to come through. 

Also, cut the bottom seam off of the shirt. This will be the drawstring. 

After you sew the top folds, you're ready to put the string through. Cut the band you took off the bottom of the shirt so you have one long string. The easiest way to pull in through the tops is to attach a safety pin to the  end for something to grab onto. 

Then take a crochet needle (or a clothes hanger) and push in through the entire top opening. Then you can pull it through each side in one swoop! 

After the string is completely through, you might want to try it on to figure out where you want to tie it so it fits the best on you. Then just tie a knot (or sew the string back together, which I couldn't do because I successfully broke my needle AGAIN lol).

      

That's it! now you have a cute Summer Tank Top or a little girl's dress!!

See where I'm linking up HERE!


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. This is such a cute tank. I need to try making this. I have a link party on Wednesdays at Adorned From Above.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com
    I would love for you to link this.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love this idea! I will have to get an old tee and give it a try! Wondering if I could do it with a old men's dress shirt... hmmmm the ideas ore flowing!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACk! This is so cute! It would be a perfect way to show off all band tshirts. I don't know how I always think I'll look "cute" in them. :/ If you have a minute, I'd love for you to stop by and link up to Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-16/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great summer look. Thanks for sharing this week.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been featured on this week's Creative Corner Hop. Feel free to stop by and grab the "Spotlight is on You" button from the right sidebar of my blog. And thanks for sharing with us!

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,
    Love this! I can't wait to show this to "my" Jessica, she will love making these. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. I appreciate YOU! Can't wait to see what you link up next :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this out of an Owl City concert tee that was too big. It turned out so wonderful!! Thank you so much for this tutorial!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love the way it turned out, and anything you make that you can actually wear is always great! lol

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]