Sunday, May 13, 2012

Re-covering an Office Chair

   Ok, so I have been on the hunt for a cute, thrifty chair I could re-make into a crafting chair for my side of our desk. Between the thrift stores and yard sales, I haven't had any luck. Today at Wally-World, I decided I would just get a regular office chair, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. I got one of the cheapest ones for about $20 because I knew I could just cover it with something cuter!


Here's what I did...
This is the chair I got, and my hubby putting it together like a beast hahaha.

I told him to wait on putting the bottom and head rest on so I could cover them first. If yours is already put together, just take these two pieces off.

My head rest had a plastic backing on it, which is fine with me because it will hide my messiness! I just had to pop it off the back to get started.

I stretched out one yard of fabric and laid out the two pieces with enough fabric to pull around all sides.

I traced around where I wanted to cut and then cut two pieces out.

To apply the fabric, I used a light duty staple gun I bought from a hardware store, but you can purchase from any craft store or Wally-World too.

I pulled the sides tight and began stapling all the way around, trying not to leave a lot of corner bumps.

After you finish stapling, it will probably look something like this.

Then, you want to cut off a lot of the excess fabric or you will be able to see it hanging down from the bottom of the chair, and that's no good.

Then I did the head rest the exact same way.

I flattened the fabric corners with more staples and popped the plastic backing back on the head rest.

Then I had two chair pads that looked like this!

Jasper interrupted to play a little ball, he's worth the extra time! :)

Finally, my wonderful hubby put the parts back together and, TADA! A better-looking, re-covered chair!
See where I'm linking up HERE!

16 comments:

  1. Great job, Jessica! Love the pattern and colors.
    I need to do that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute - I love those fabrics!
    Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
    www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this exact chair haha I may have to try this to make it a little nicer =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow you did a great job. What a great idea!! I might have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how you spiffied up a boring office chair come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This chair would make me want to actually do work! :) Thanks for linking up at Well Crafted Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica, I'm a new GFC friend, I would love it if you stop by http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, and be my friend, too.
    Hey, this is a clever idea. It's so much cuter. Thanks for sharing.
    Love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I have an old office chair and I do not have it in my craft room because it just doesn't match. Now I will have to find some new fabric for it and cover it. Thanks for the great idea! I would love it if you would link this up to my linky party at http://www.firehousecrafts.com/whats-hot-in-the-firehouse-linky-party-1/. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I so have wanted to try this but am chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is impressive work! We're so glad you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks for coming and we hope you'll be back. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that fabric! I bet it brightens up your whole area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out so cute!! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesday.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fabric! I have the same chair! Not sure what kind of fabric you used, but I wanted to share some thing I learned the hard way: it wears through kinda quick if you don't use upholstery fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]