Friday, May 18, 2012

A DIY Canvas Print

   I love this method  because it is so cheap and looks so pretty! The picture I used, I edited with Picnik (before it shut down) and Photoshop to make it look like drawing-type picture.
What you'll need:
Your preference in size canvas (I used a 16x20)
A printed picture (I explain my process later)
Spray Adhesive
Mod Podge
Acrylic Paint
Paper towel or Paint Brush

Here's how I did it!

When I printed my picture, I opened it with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
Click print and go into the preferences for your printer. 

With our printer, it is pretty simple to get to the poster sized print out, but every printer will be different so it won't be exactly like this, but it might be close. Just find the poster print setting where it will enlarge your photo and print on four separate pages.

Grab your canvas and the printed out pages.

As you can see, the pictures printed in the middle, leaving white edges.

I used a straight edge cutter to take the edging off so the picture will look whole.

This is the tricky part. The other times I've made these, I used Mod Podge to adhere the pages to the canvas and I think that way turned out a little better, but this time I used Spray Adhesive to try and save some time.
*A Helpful Hint* If you take a picture of any kind of paper and spray the back of it with spray adhesive, let it dry completely and it will become a temporary decal you can stick and re-stick anywhere!

I started with the top corner because it was most important for our heads to fit. lol

Take your time to get the edges to line up perfectly. 

I cut off the edge of the paper that did not fit on the canvas.

Next, to get it to blend better, Grab your paper towel (or paint brush, whichever you prefer) and a color of paint that matches well with your photo. I used black and white to get a charcoal gray color.

Wad the paper towel to get a small edge for dabbing.

Start dabbing the paint all over the edges and a little on the top to hide the edge of the paper. 

I put it on a little thick on the corners too, just for effect.

Repeat all the way around the canvas.

Let your paint dry completely before the next step, about 15-30 minutes.

Next, you want to cover the entire picture and paint with Mod Podge. Be VERY CAREFUL if you have a lot of black or dark ink on your picture because if you spread the mod podge around on it too much, the colors will start to bleed! Let that dry around an hour before hanging.

I LOVE this picture!! And my Hubby adores it, too!

This is the last one I made for my cousin for Christmas! :)



See where I'm linking up HERE!
Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! That picture is great! Nice job Jessica!

    Thanks for sharing on SOS! Hope to see you next week!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, modern way to display a favorite photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beautiful! Love how you added a sweet quote! Hope you will hop over to my 300 followers blog hop @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/05/under-300-followers-blog-hop-2.html
    I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting way to do a photo.. I'll have
    to look into doing this.. Thanks so much for you
    visit to my blog today.. You mentioned you honeymooned
    here in Clearwater.. I've lived here for 6 years now
    and it is paradise for sure.. beautiful!
    Thanks again
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, What a fun and totally creative idea!
    Great photo!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this! My printer only goes to legal so I'll have to follow your method, I think I'll use Mod Podge, I don't trust me to be that quick and steady. Next to you in the Networking Blog Hop, WordPress put Janet instead of my url!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!
    I found you at the COM linky party :)

    http://mommysordinarymagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so wonderful!! We are so glad you came to another week of our fun "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please join us again! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS!! LAST CHRISTMAS I PAID BIG MONEY TO HAVE A GREAT PHOTO OF THE STATUE OF LIBERTY DONE FOR MY SON, THIS YEAR HE REQUESTED THE EIFFEL TOWER, NOW IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE FOR ANY PARTICULAL REASON, IT CAN BE HAPPY THURSDAY!! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!! D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and can't wait to try it!
    Stopping by from the Creative Corner Blog Hop. TFS!

    Holly
    http://hollysstampingaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out perfect! You did a great job. I'm a new follower from a blog hop and would love if you followed me at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com. Feel free to also add your project to my blog hop as well!!! Thanks so much, can't wait to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a great idea for creating personalize art for less. I would love it if you would share this on my linky party - Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/05/tout-it-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this! Very nice job. I have pinned it to my DIY crafts board. And I would love to have you come by, link up and show off this project at the Creative Corner Hop. The linky party begins every Monday and stay open all week.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - such a great idea!! I love this and need to try it myself. Thanks for such an awesome tutorial.

    I'm really glad you linked up at Romance on a dime. I'm definitely pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great project, I'd love to try this! And btw, I miss Picnik...have you found a substitute that you like? I've been using Fotoflexor...it's ok, but it's no Picnik :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try out picmonkey, but It doesn't have everything picnik had... I use befunky a lot too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  16. This is such a great project and tutorial and something I have been wanting to try myself. Thanks so much for linking this this week to BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are the featured post on this week's Creative Corner Hop. Feel free to grab the "In the Spotlight" button from my sidebar. And I hope you'll be back to link up again this week.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Grabbing your button, Thanks for hosting! -Jessica

      Delete
  19. Hi, I agree with you. Really this blog is very informative.
    Canvas print photo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd recognize that lyric anywhere. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like what you did there. Really cool effect. Nice outcome too.

    Discount Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete
  22. With different sizes and shapes, you can really mix and match Canvas Prints to create one full image or tell a story. There are a few ways to do this. You can crop a full image into halves, quarters or eighths. Or you can combine images from one day of shooting.
    Cheap Poster Printing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jessica-did you print from a laser printer or inkjet? I have an inkjet, and have had ink bleeds big time when I modpodged over it in the past (different projects) ... Maybe I just brushed over it too much? What do you think? I really like your canvas, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an inkjet, and yes it does get as little difficult when using a lot of ink! MY best technique was to not brush over one spot more than a couple of times, your strokes dont have to look perfect, it adds to the texture! It was also a bit easier to keep too many color from smudging because mt picture was black and white! Hope this helps!! - Jessica

      Delete
  24. Thank you very much for the explanation, I just started doing this and use everything I have at home, books and napkins and what not! I love it, but using Canvas I find the picture always comes out with waves underneath, once it dries of. Any advise what should I do?
    Thank you
    Irit Lerner

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you very much for the explanation, I just started doing this and use everything I have at home, books and napkins and what not! I love it, but using Canvas I find the picture always comes out with waves underneath, once it dries of. Any advise what should I do?
    Thank you
    Irit Lerner

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you very much for the explanation, I just started doing this and use everything I have at home, books and napkins and what not! I love it, but using Canvas I find the picture always comes out with waves underneath, once it dries of. Any advise what should I do?
    Thank you
    Irit Lerner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my page!!
I LOVE comments and I'll try my best to show
you some bloggy love as well! ♥Jessica[pbj]